Shiny Book Review is a collection of authors and readers whose first love is a book. We review any and all books that come our way. If you would like your book reviewed by SBR, please let us know so we can give you our shipping information. Please allow 2-3 weeks for the review to be posted, as we all are doing this for free and life tends to interfere at the worst of times.
Unless otherwise agreed-upon by the reviewer and Shiny Book, the following intellectual property policy applies:
- Any review belonging to this site becomes the exclusive property of Shiny Book; this includes the ability to edit, distribute or republish the material at will.
- The author of the review is granted permission to reprint the final (as published by Shiny Book) version of the review, if Shiny Book is credited as the publisher.
- Submission of any review to Shiny Book constitutes full acceptance of, and agreement with, the above intellectual property agreement.
In other words, Shiny Book Review can make deals with other people under other terms – i.e. reprinting something by guest reviewers, that they own the rights to – but unless specifically stated otherwise, here’s how it is.
Our Code of Ethos
- A Shiny Book reviewer may not submit – unsolicited, agented, or otherwise – work of any type, to the publisher of any title they have reviewed within the last 90 days.
- While a reviewer’s work is under consideration at a publisher, reviewers may not review titles by that publisher.
- In the event of a rejection, a reviewer may not review any title by that publisher for 90 days following the receipt of that rejection.
- If a reviewer’s work is accepted by a publisher, a reviewer may not review work by that publisher for the duration of that relationship, as defined as the period in which that publisher holds partial or full rights to the work.
Please keep this in mind with regard to future submissions and works in progress. If you feel that a work nearing completion might be submitted to a given publisher, focus your reviews on titles by other publishers. This ethical code is important to the credibility and reputation of Shiny Books and its reviewers as a whole, and will be taken very seriously going forward.
One more thing: the FCC now requires that a disclaimer be made regarding books sent to Shiny Book Review and/or any book review sites. That disclaimer is as follows: we at SBR are often sent free books, but are under no obligation — none whatsoever — to give anything except our opinion, freely stated.
In plain language, this means that we at SBR will be glad to read and review your book, but that sending us a book does not guarantee by any means a positive review. (It only guarantees a thoughtful one.)
Why the FCC wants us to point out that our reviews cannot be bought for love or money — not if you send us a free book, not if you send us five thousand free books — is beyond the scope of SBR. But now, the disclaimer exists . . . make of it what you will.