Beowulf Themes and Characters
- Major theme 1 — The search to attain a measure of immortality by performing heroic deeds.
- Major theme 2 — The importance of maintaining a civilized orderly society.
- Major theme 3 — The display of courage in the face of death.
- Herot — A great mead hall, or banquet hall.
- Beowulf — An ideal warrior of the Geats and the hero of the poem.
- Dragon — A fire-breathing, snakelike monster that terrorizes the Geats
- Grendel — A monster with human qualities that terrorizes Herot for twelve years
- Grendels mother — A monster that also terrorizes Herot
- Hrothgar — Danish King and builder of Herot
- Higlac — King of the Geats and Uncle of Beowulf
- Shild — Legendary king of the Danes and great grandfather of Hrothgar
- Unferth — a warrior in Hrothgar’s court who challenge Beowulf’s bravery
- Welthow — Hrothgar’s wife
- Wiglaf — a young warrior and relative of Beowulf